Sunday, August 06, 2006

"If your not part of the solution..."

then as the saying goes your part of the problem.

Everyone likes a good moan (if they didn't I wouldn't be on here to start with, because id have nothing to say.) I can appreciate that there are things that you just have to get off your chest and sometimes the best or only way to do it is to just vocally rip apart what ever is in front of you be it sentient or inanimate.
I can appreciate that, constructive as it may or may not be. It’s a form of therapy.
What I can’t appreciate is those people who are presented with a problem and are given a choice, either spend time complaining about it or suck it in and get on with trying to either fix it or think of an alternative.

At this junction in my little rant id like to pause to appease all those in the back row I can hear screaming; “sometimes there is no alternative” “what if it’s a really big deal? What if what ever has happened really fucked you up?” and my dear reader (I say dear, because I DO appreciate people taking time out to read this) these are all very valid questions, but these are not the types of situations I am referring to.
The scenario in mind consisted of something along the lines of ;

“oh dear the kettle wont boil…it appears to be broken”…

”you know that kettles always been dodgy, should of guessed it would break…etc etc”

to this point…ok…fair enough, but beyond this is where the line begins to blur and generally the “if onlys” kick in;

if only we replaced it before it broke,

if only we bought the more expensive kettle, would it have lasted the pace longer?

SIGH...we may never know. Meanwhile the idea that water in a pot could easily have boiled three times by now has never occurred. And that is where I have my grudge.

What too many people are good at is crossing the line, in fact playing with, standing beside and then shitting ON the line before bounding over it would be closer to the truth in too many cases.

The kettle is a minimalist example, the problem can increase in size many times but the same under lying idea is there, get on with it rather then lying there like some kind of wronged beached whale. If the problem is fixable; fix it.
If not lament your lose later and try and be practical NOW while it still matters.

This brings me to my next section of complaint.

With so much time being whittled away on the self mastication section of the evenings events, often any viable alternative solution has expired whilst we were discussing politics of the situation.
The result is a last minute ditch attempt, to crawl toward the line which only moments before was so neatly deprecated on; back toward rationality, reality (admittedly something I usually try to avoid, but alas…) and the realisation that something actually may need to be done about the situation!

I suppose it boils down to how different people respond when faced with a problem, but even this ritualistic progression of thought surely cant assist anyone? Surely those with already failing “reaction response” are only further obstructed by this insistence that we need to procrastinate NOW!

Complaining more often then not gets you no where (unless you happen to be complaining to the right branch of the mass media about the wrong corporation) and as I started by saying I fully appreciate the need for a good whine from time to time, but the fact is if something can be done about a problem couldn’t we by pass the 6 year old shit fit and deal with that first? Then we can have the rest of the evening to ourselves to wallow in our “REAL” problems… because if not before; “Heaven Knows I’m Miserable now”

1 comment:

maagaggie said...

Hey you. I loved this one, it was witty and intelligent and so well written.
How did you do in your exams? I hope they were okay.
Thankyou so much for the letter and the dvd! (you will know who I am now) that was so kind of you. I'll need to get some credit in my phone and text you.
Once all this uni stuff etc has settled down for me I'll write to you :)
Love you lots
xxx
ps. keep writing